This sorry excuse for a rooster tries to murder the poor baby and then rape Sofia every chance he gets. He is on my last nerve. I know I have been threatening for a while now. The only thing stopping me is the trouble of finding somewhere to isolate him for 24 hours (to clear his digestive tract) before killing him. I am ready and waiting with my coq au vin recipe. So, I keep telling myself that in a few weeks, mama and Thirteen can move back into the big coop and then I can use the baby coop as his isolation chamber. I look forward to the day. Maybe this is why he had no name for so long and why the name, Luke, never really felt right. You’re not supposed to name the ones you’re going to eat. It was fate. You’re not supposed to make friends with them either. Check and check.
By the way, JB has been a perfect, fatherly gentleman to the baby, and Soup has mostly been indifferent. It’s just Mr. Soon-to-be-Coq-Au Vin that is causing the trouble. As for the baby, I’ve been trying to get good update pics, but the weather and life just haven’t been cooperating. The above pic is from yesterday, as is this one:
If you click on this one to see the full-sized version, you can see the start of pink coloring on the comb and wattles:
This concerns me because the roosters all went pink first. That and the standing-tall behavior. Today, Thirteen is officially 5 weeks old. Holy cow! Five weeks already? Unbelievable to me.
It was FREEZING cold today as the cold snap that was scheduled for the whole west coast hit. That, plus the wind and bad light and my extremely low patience today lead me to give up in my quest to get actual, useful pictures of the raspberries. But, please know that I was extraordinarily excited today not only to find green leaves and/or buds on all of my raspberry plants, but I also found FLOWER BUDS on some of my Autumn Britten red raspberries and my Anne golden raspberries. Not only did they make it (I always assume everything that I plant will die), but we are going to get berries! YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! Ok, now, look at the picture. See the blurry, gray fuzzy things in the middle of the leaf cluster? Those are flower buds. You’ll just have to believe me. I would never lie to you. Probably. For the most part.
So, the quick update on the seed starting is that it is going swimmingly well. Just today, as I was starting to give up hope and accept the fact that some of my tomato varieties weren’t going to come up, I found sprouts of every single one! This morning I was still short two or three varieties, and by this afternoon – BAM! There they were. My beautiful little babies.
My camera REALLY hates taking pictures of small things, and plants in particular, so I basically have nothing to show you here. That’s why I started with the beet pic. It’s the best I’ve got. But, anyway, the above pic shows you that my Haley’s Purple Comet seedlings, the first of all seeds to sprout, now are forming their first set of true leaves. Everything is going swimmingly.
Also, I have onion pepper (sweet and hot), eggplant, cabbage, broccoli, bok choi, cilantro, lemon balm, basil, beet, chard, lettuce, and cauliflower sprouts.
Lorelei Goes For A Walk
Good night and good luck.